That night we pondered long and hard our next move. Lug meat ourselves and hope to have it out 72 hours from now – it was definitely feasible but it raised the all-important question of – will the meat still be good? Run out to town and try to rent horses or find someone to pack our meat for us – again, definitely feasible but if we came up empty we would put ourselves further behind the 8-ball and virtually guarantee that we lose the meat. Then again, if successful in that venture, we’d be out of the mountains soon and headed back East with heavy coolers. Decisions, decisions.
Option B won out. At dawn, we packed camp after double-checking that our meat bags were hung properly in the best ventilated and shaded spot available. 9 miles and 3 hours later we strolled into the parking lot and bummed a ride in a pickup truck bed down to the dude ranch about 5 miles further towards town. A very helpful lady was able to make some phone calls and get us hooked up with an outfitter armed with 1 horse and 2 mules. He would meet us at 5 PM the following evening at the top of the switchbacks. That was all well and good, but we still had to get back in to the meat and antlers and move everything 2-2.5 miles further to the top of the switchbacks. On our hike out that morning, the reason for absent horse/human traffic was obvious – treacherous deadfall EVERYWHERE! It would be a grueling push to our finish line, but we’d have horsepower from there.
(The elevation profile of the total pack-out suggests that we did do something right…kill up, pack down!)
Long story short, we did the rough hours of effort calculation and figured we better make tracks back in that evening. We made it 4-5 miles deep before darkness and ominous storm clouds stopped our progress. After a long night of rain interspersed with lightning, we woke soaked and gloomy but with one mission in mind. Hike the remaining 4 miles to the meat cache and shuttle those 2 loads down to our rendezvous point by 5 PM. 9 hours later, we arrived at said point at 4:45 PM. We heard the clip-clop of hooves just 15 minutes later. We were on time and he was on time. 6 miles later, we were packing the Nissan for the long haul back East. We drove 2 hours to find a hotel and a much-needed shower and rest. Refreshed the next morning, we tackled the 24-hour through drive back to Columbus, OH, and reunited with our families – 2 days ahead of schedule I might add.
We had a lot of miles to absorb the events of the last 7 days. We were admittedly confident going into the trip that we would get into elk and likely have adequate opportunity to fill our 2 tags. Were we expecting the kind of elk hunting we had experienced? By no means. The action – both in terms of quantity of bulls encountered and quality of bulls encountered – surpassed our wildest expectations. 2012 was definitely not an outlier, no anomaly there. 4 for 4 was backed up with 2 for 2. Heck, in 2 true days of hunting, we had taken 3 shots, Pete had passed up 1 cow, I had passed up 1 bull and multiple opportunities at cows. We had turned our nose up at other bulls – simply waiting for them to bypass us. Over-the-counter DIY elk hunting on Colorado’s public lands. We had proof of concept and validity of strategy. We also had plenty of time to re-evaluate certain aspects of our strategy, such as, is the “kill a bull first, figure it out later” strategy really a strategy at all – or is it just fool-hardy? We’re both leaning towards the latter. Plenty of other observations were made, so I won’t let all the cats out of the bag just yet as I’ll follow up the blow-by-blow recount with gear reviews, some things we learned, and maybe a few other tidbits.
(Sorry for the lack of pictures from the last 2+ days of our adventure, but the weather was abominable – just drenching wet for a solid 48 hours. )